Friday, February 26, 2016

Look Again. What Do You See?


I was long overdue for an eye exam, so one morning, as my schedule allowed me to leave work for a little bit, I rushed over to a nearby Sam's Club, and asked if I had to make an appointment, or if they accepted walk-ins as well. The nice fellow behind the desk informed me that this was actually one of only two days of the week that the optometrist came in, and that although the rest of the day was booked solid, the very first appointment was available, right now!

"Wow", I said, "I hope the rest of my day works out as well for me as this did."

"Aren't you a man of G-d?" he retorted. "You should know that everything He sends your way is good. The inconvenient moments are only tests!"

As he began to enter my information into his computer, his phone rang.

"Well", he said as he hung up. "There's your test! The doctor just called to tell us she'd be coming in late today. Would you like to come in next Monday at 2:00?”…

*
At the end of this week’s Torah portion, Ki Sissa, Moshe descends from the mountain with the second set of tablets. Having spent all this time in the presence of G-d, Moshe’s face was so radiant, that the people were afraid to come near him.

The commentators point out the power of sin. A few months prior, these same people stood at Mount Sinai without fear, as the glory of G-d appeared “like a consuming fire atop the mountain”, and now they recoiled in fear from Moshe’s rays of splendor.

It seems that not everyone is able to look at, or see, everything.

*
Although I did not have my eye exam that morning, I was happy for the reminder that we not only need to be able to see, but we need to learn and remember how to look at things as well.

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment